For those people who live in a community where fences are either not allowed or the yards prove difficult to fence,invisible dog fence is a great option to tame your dogs from living the compound.
How does it work?
Invisible dog fence is alsoreferred to as wireless invisible fence where there is a wire that is installed in the perimeter of the yard that has a radio signal. You make the dog wear a receiver collar so when the dog gets close to the wire it starts making a sound and if the dog further gets closer or tries to get past the wire then the dog receives a shock. This trains the animal to stay within the designated area only. The wire is often buried underground.
What to consider before buying the invisible dog fence
The best question I love to ask is ‘what about the dog safety?’
Dogs pain and danger
Like human beings, dogs have nerve endings, blood and flesh which don’t react well with electricity. Invisible dog fences deliver very painful shocking experiences when the dog crosses the electric wire which could ultimately cause severe anxiety, pain, burns, sometimes cardiac problems. Some dogs are made to wear collars that are remotely controlled by the owner and whenever the owner believes they have misbehaved they are subjected to the shock. This can be hazardous to you because this dog may associate their pain with anyone passing by and therefore make them attack. Unfortunately, this could be a child coming into the compound or a mailman.
The fear of being punished for coming back home
Sometime a dog may run way past the hidden fence thus experiencing the shock but still manage to go after a squirrel or another animal they target but the problem will be that the dog will fear coming back in due to the shock they feel. Which may lead to your dog getting lost.
Is it safe?
Assuming there are other intruder animals that manage to get into your yard and are attacking your dog, they may not be able to save themselves because of the shock which could endanger their lives.
Weighing on the pros and cons
- The invisible fence is considered mostly affordable to many people and also readily available.
- It allows flexibility, since it is underground it doesn’t interfere with the yard deign and view. It can be installed very quickly compared to the traditional fence.
- They are so effective, this is because in most cases dogs learn to stay within the compound to avoid being shocked.
- The shock is mostly painful, and could lead to greater damages.
- It’s a form of punishment to the dog that can make him very wild.
- An invisible dog fence can be frightening to a dog.
- It doesn’t guarantee containment because if they see something interesting for them they will quickly run past the hidden fence and maybe fear coming back to the yard.
Although invisible dog fence is usually more affordable you will agree with me that it is unfair to subject the dog to such shocking pain. I would advise you to use another method. For more detail: www.qualitydogfence.com